New York Titanic Heritage Tour
April 1997

Day One

Lady Liberty on Approach to New York

Our Tour started mid-morning on the 16th. We took a "Q" train from Sheepshead Bay to deKalb Avenue in Brooklyn and changed for an "N" train to Whitehall Street in lower Manhattan. We crossed the street and, after a short wait, boarded a Staten Island ferry. The trip across New York Harbor takes about twenty minutes. This picture of the Statue of Liberty was taken on the return trip to Manhattan. It's pretty much the same view the Titanic's passengers would have seen had the ship arrived after daybreak on Wednesday morning.


Manhattan Island Looms in the Distance


Discovery Channel Titanic Ad on Bus

The discovery Channel's production of TITANIC: Anatomy of a Disaster Cunard Building....The Cunard Line which first opened a New York Office in 1??? occupied this building on its completion in 19?? The Cunard Building, 25 Broadway

Former White Star Offices

Former IMM Offices

Former IMM Offices

ADJOINING THIS SITE
WAS THE FIRST DUTCH FORT
ON MANHATTAN ISLAND, KNOWN
AS FORT NEW AMSTERDAM. THE
FIRST HOUSE WAS ERECTED
HERE BEFORE 1664. IN 1771
CAPTAIN ARCHIBALD KENNEDY
BUILT HERE HIS RESIDENCE
WHICH WAS USED IN 1776 BY
GENERAL WASHINGTON AS HIS
HEADQUARTERS AND LATER BY
GENERAL HOWE DURING THE
BRITISH OCCUPATION. IT WAS
LATER USED AS A HOTEL. TORN
DOWN IN 1882, IT WAS REPLACED
BY THE WASHINGTON BUILDING
WHICH WAS TRANSFORMED IN
1920-21 INTO THIS BUILDING
FOR OCCUPANCY BY ITS OWNERS
THE INTERNATIONAL MERCANTILE
MARINE COMPANY AND KNOWN AS
NO. 1 BROADWAY
Street View of Broadway

Radio Operators Memorial

ERECTED IN MEMORY OF WIRELESS OPERATORS LOST AT SEA AT THE POST OF DUTY
JACK PHILLIPS | S.S. TITANIC | APRIL 15, 1912 | ATLANTIC OCEAN

Memorial Closeup

Titanic Memorial Lighthouse

Lighthouse Plaque

The plaque reads:
TITANIC MEMORIAL LIGHTHOUSE

THIS LIGHTHOUSE IS A MEMORIAL TO THE PASSENGERS, OFFICERS AND CREW WHO DIED AS HEROES WHEN THE STEAMSHIP TITANIC SANK AFTER COLLISION WITH AN ICEBERG

LATITUDE 41 46' NORTH
LONGITUDE 50 14' WEST
APRIL 15, 1912

THE LIGHTHOUSE WAS ORIGINALLY ERECTED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION IN 1913. IT STOOD ABOVE THE EAST RIVER ON THE ROOF OF THE OLD SEAMEN'S CHURCH INSTITUTE AT THE CORNER OF SOUTH STREET AND COENTIES SLIP. FROM 1913 TO 1967 THE TIME BALL AT THE TOP OF THE LIGHTHOUSE WOULD DROP DOWN THE POLE TO SIGNAL TWELVE NOON TO THE SHIPS IN THE HARBOR. THIS TIME BALL MECHANISM WAS ACTIVATED BY A TELEGRAPHIC SIGNAL FROM THE NATIONAL OBSERVATORY IN WASHINGTON, D.C.

IN JULY 1968 THE SEAMEN'S CHURCH INSTITUTE MOVED TO ITS PRESENT QUARTERS AT 15 STATE STREET. THAT YEAR THE TITANIC MEMORIAL LIGHTHOUSE WAS DONATED BY THE KAISER-NELSON STEEL & SALVAGE CORPORATION TO THE SOUTH STREET SEAPORT MUSEUM. IT WAS ERECTED ON THIS CORNER AT THE ENTRANCE TO THE MUSEUM COMPLEX IN MAY 1976 WITH FUNDS PROVIDED BY THE EXXON CORPORATION.


SOUTH STREET SEAPORT MUSEUM




Heritage Tour Day Two